Started bleeding heavily. Noticed fibrous material in blood. What could be that discharge?

Question
My wife we thought had finished menopause but started bleeding heavely. She found in her pad a 3inch long about 1/2 inch dia piece of fiborus material. No pain other than normal menstral cramps. what was that discharge.
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Menopause is defined as no period for 12 months, and occurs on average around age 51-52. If she meets the definition for menopause, then this is considered an episode of "post-menopausal bleeding". The blood produce can produce a darkish brown discharge and old blood can actually look like "tissue". Here is what absolutely needs to happen:

1. Do not panic, you have taken the first step towards an answer
2. She needs to make an appointment with her OB/GYN
3. At that visit, she needs an exam AND an endometrial biopsy - to evaluate for pre-cancerous changes
4. She needs an ultrasound to evaluate for thickening of the uterine lining that might indicate a polyp, for example
5. She might need a D&C if the bleeding continues despite the above evaluation and steps towards reassurance

I hope this answered your question. If you have additional questions, please ask. If we are finished, please leave feedback for me! Good luck!!

Follow-up: Started bleeding heavily. Noticed fibrous material in blood. What could be that discharge? 9 hours later
Thanks so much I am passing this on to my wife.

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
If she has any additional questions, please let me know! Good luck and please leave feedback when you get a chance!