Started bleeding few days after dilatation and curettage. Is this normal?

Hi, I had a missed miscarriage and had a d & c on the 25th of XXXXXXX just gone, I was told my period would not be until 4/8 weeks approx., Then on the 07th ie. Thurday I had bleeding which I think is my 1st monthly cycle after d & c I am no longer bleeding from today the 09th and it was very light. Before I got pregnant I always had light periods but not this light and they only lasted 2/4 days XXXXXXX My question is, is this normal to get my period so soon after my d & c and was it my period? I rang hosp and they told me it was but now im not 100% sure, Also does if it was my period does that mean my body has recovered quicker from the procedure. I would still like to get bloods done on day 21 of my cycle to make sure everything is ok but I would also like to try again when I ovulate or is it too soon? Also ever since my d & c I have regular bowel movement where I go sometimes twice today 3 times. Before getting pregnant I was never regular like I am now why is this?

Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later

Bleeding per vagina 12 days after dilatation and curettage(D&C) is less likely to be menstrual blood.
It usually takes 6 weeks for you to get your periods after D&C .
You symptom of bleeding per vagina for 2 days is something to be of concerned.

I recommend you to
1.Get a transvaginal ultrasonography to rule out retained products of conception.
2.Blood profile to rule out infection as secondary infection can also lead to bleeding per vagina 12 days after D&C.

Both the above conditions are completely treatable.
So you need not worry.
Continue taking Folic acid tablets.
Diet XXXXXXX in iron.
Rest for 4 weeks.

Hope I have answered all your queries.
You can write to me anytime for further clarifications.

Dr Nilofer