Started bleeding before periods. Pregnancy test negative. Feeling headache and leg cramps. Concerned

Hi I had my period or implantsion bleed not sure two days before my period was due then nothing's is a test 3 days after and got a negative my tummy is bloadted, I'm tired I get leg cramps and my gums have been hurting and had head aches
Had a alcoholic drink yesterday and felt sick and it went straight to my head I'm really thirsty my period was meant to start 19th oct but I had a light bleed on the 17th and 18th then it stopped I'm so confused please help
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 19 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Here are the possibilities related to a missed cycle:

1. Pregnancy
2. Delay in ovulation and a late period

This is actually an incredibly common scenario - the late or abnormal period and negative pregnancy tests. While it is still possible that a pregnancy test has not turned positive yet, it seems more likely that this was related to breakthrough bleeding related to delayed or absent ovulation. In this case, when women do not ovulate, the lining builds up and then sheds irregularly.

If your period does not come in a week, then retake the test. If the test is negative, call your OB/GYN to discuss ways to induce a period.

I hope this helps. Please take a moment to leave feedback!!
Follow-up: Started bleeding before periods. Pregnancy test negative. Feeling headache and leg cramps. Concerned 1 hour later
It was so light and I never got it when it was meant to come It came on the 17 th and 18th I was meant to get it on the 19th there was nothing
I've been bloated head aches leg cramps gums hurt the Internet said I was to ovulate on the 1,2'3 and 4 th of this month I had sex around that time then the two day light period before my period day
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Still, I think that this could just be related to delayed ovulation. One thing that occurs with ovulation is a small amount of bleeding in some cases related to a brief, abrupt drop in estrogen levels. This would make sense with the subsequent onset of symptoms that one could attribute to the second half of your cycle: bloating, etc.

If you were pregnant, then the test would turn positive at the time of the missed period or shortly thereafter.

Good luck!