Started bleeding after unprotected sex. Is this a sign of pregnancy or infection?

My wife got her period on 1st feb and it lasted for around 6-7 days. On 14th feb i had unprotected sex. Two days later she had a brown-ish discharge. What is it?

well, i told you about bleeding...... actually it happens only after passing urine and it is brown-ish in colour. she had it twice after urinating and the second time was slight. About the unprotected sex which we had, iam sure i did not come inside her. Even though if i have come inside her unknowingly it wont be more than 2-3 drops of sperm.
Can u tell me what is the amount of sperm required to get pregnant.

Also i wish to ask you, the brown-ish colour bleeding that too on the 1st day after ovulation is a sign of pregnancy or a kind of infection. If it is many days will the bleeding be?
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 20 minutes later

If your wife has a regular 28-30 day cycles, her ovulation dates would be around 14th-16th Feb. Since you had unprotected intercourse during this period, her chances of conceiving are very high.

Ovulation bleeding occurs as a speck in many cases or lasts for 1-2 days; it is a fresh bleeding- light red or pink in color. Ovulation bleed is not a sign of pregnancy.

As the bleeding is seen after passing urine, your wife should get her urine tested for any infection and occult blood. Sometimes trauma during intercourse may lead to some urethritis and cystitis that could cause bleeding. It passes off with time. As the color of the bleeding is brownish, it indicates old bleeding.

If no other cause can be elicited in renal examination, you may visit your gynecologist for an examination to rule out local causes like cervical and uterine polyps, vaginitis and cervical erosion; you may also get a sonogram. a hormonal assay may also be done to rule out hormonal imbalance.

As for insemination, even a single sperm is enough for fertilization to occur; so micro-quantities of semen will suffice. It is not necessary for penetration to occur, vaginal deposition of semen is enough as sperms can swim a long way.

As of now, diagnosis of a pregnancy cannot be done by any means; you will have to wait for another week or so before a test (serum beta-hCG) can be performed.

Hope I have answered your query. If you need further clarifications, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Started bleeding after unprotected sex. Is this a sign of pregnancy or infection? 10 hours later
well, i told you yesterday that she was discharging brownish fluid while passing urine but when she woke up today in the morning there was no bleeding at all. was the bleeding yesterday just normal bleeding or if a lady is getting pregnant how many days does she bleed after ovulation as in my wife's case it was only for a day that too while urinating.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 29 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

There is no need to bleed after ovulation if one is pregnant. Ovulation bleeding is a normal phenomenon in some people and it happens for 1-2 days after ovulation and it is a fresh bleeding, light pink or red in color. It does not indicate pregnancy.

Implantation bleeding occurs after pregnancy in some cases and this is seen about 10-14 days after ovulation and it is also a fresh bleeding and may last for 4-5 days.

Your wife needs to have a check up to see the cause of bleeding as she does not fit into both the above categories. It could be from the urethra, from the vagina, from the cervix or from the uterus and this can be clarified only by a physical examination and an ultrasound.

The only way you can probably suspect pregnancy at this stage is by noting the conception has occurred.

Hope I have clarified your doubts. If you need further clarifications, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.