Started bleeding after taking emergency contraceptive pill. Is this normal?

Mar 2013
Hi,I took emergency contraceptive pill and after 5 days now I'm bleeding.i had my last period on the 21 st of march which lasted 7 days. Is it normal to bleed like that?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 25 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

The emergency contraceptive pill is a hormonal preparation.
It is normal to have some form of bleeding after taking it.
It will also alter the pattern of your normal menstrual period.
You might have it a week earlier or a week later , maybe more, from your expected date of period.
It is not a substitute for regular contraceptive use, and frequent use of emergency contraceptives will lead to irregular menstrual cycles.
Right now, please use protection, until you have your normal period, which , as I warned you, might not arrive on the expected date.

Take care, and feel free to ask any further questions.