Started bleeding after periods. On pill. Sore and itchy vagina. Having unprotected sex. Is this bleeding normal?

Question
Hello, I have started bleeding today and the blood is orange. I had my regular period 2 weeks ago. I am also on the pill and restarted taking it on sunday 15th july, but then stopped the following wednesday because i am wanting to change to a different one (due to me having put on weight and my blood preasure increased to borderline). I am very sore at the entrace to the vaginal and feel it most during sex and initial penetration. I am a little itchy too and not a lot of discharge. I thought I had lost a tampon during my last cycle but was checked by my doctor and she said it was not there. Also, my partner and I have been having unprotected sex, but he has been withdrawing before ejaculation. Is the bleeding normal?
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

So you are describing mid cycle bleeding, symptoms of a vaginal infection, and discomfort with intercourse.

First, the bleeding is most likely related to the starting and stopping of the pill. It is probably not going to be a long term issue, and with this problem I would wait until you get what you might consider a normal period and then restart the pill on the following Sunday.

Second, the itching and pain are classic symptoms of a yeast infection. I would treat over the counter with a yeast cream and avoid intercourse until your symptoms resolve. The absence of a discharge is not unusual.

Finally, consider that the withdrawal method is not perfect. You are definitely at risk for pregnancy! Take a pregnancy test now and repeat it in 1 and 2 weeks.

I hope this helps. Please let me know of you have additional questions. Also, please leave feedback!!

Follow-up: Started bleeding after periods. On pill. Sore and itchy vagina. Having unprotected sex. Is this bleeding normal? 2 days later
Thank you so much for your reply.

My itchiness has gone now; don't know about the soreness as we have not had sex in a few days. But, I get these symptoms often, especially if we have sex 2/3 day consecutively. Is this something to worry about?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 8 hours later
It may be that the frequency of intercourse is too often in terms of 3 days in a row, especially if the symptoms are less when intercourse is less often.

It might be helpful under those circumstances to use extra lubrication, such as Astroglide.

If the soreness at the opening of the vagina continues, I would have your OB/GYN take a look and see if there is inflammation of the glands around the vagina - called 'vestibulitis'.

Please provide feedback!