Started bleeding after depo shot. Pelvic ultrasound normal. Should I be worried?

I took my depo on August 12. I have been bleeding for the last 4 weeks. I did go get a pelvic ultrasound and a pelvic exam last week, both normal. I want to know if I take my depo early will it help stop the bleeding?
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

You are not due to for the next shot until early November, but there is absolutely no harm in getting the shot early. Even in my own practice, I have had patients that seem to have breakthrough bleeding during the last 2 weeks, and in these patients, I will have them get the shot every 10 weeks instead.

So go ahead and get the shot now. In the setting of your recent normal evaluation, I am confident that this will stop your bleeding.

I hope this helps. Please remember to rate this question / give me feedback. Please ask if you have more questions!