Started abnormal periods and getting brownish discharge without bleeding. What to do?

I have had a normal pap within the last 6 months, but have very abnormal periods...based on my norm... for at least 9 months and they are getting worse. My doctor doesn't seem worried, but I am getting very frustrated. I bleed at least 7-8 days heavy (like it is the first day) and than for the next 2 weeks have a brownish discharge. I may have one full week (if I am lucky) without bleeding of any kind. What should I do/
Posted Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 32 minutes later
Firstly there can be two reasons for the abnormal bleeding.It can be normal physiological due to peri-menopause.Or it can be due to a pathological cause. The first is absolutely normal and nothing to worry about.Irregular periods may last upto 2 years before menopause.On the other hand,abnormal pathology needs to be ruled out by a pap smear,ultrasound and examination.If your doctor isnt worried,then all your reports and examination must be normal.That means that fibroids,adenomyosis,dub etc have been ruled out.You can also bleed heavily due to hypothyroidsm so make sure that your TSH levels are normal.You can take ethamsylate/tranexemic acid tablets thrice a day to control the bleeding.