Start exercising after a cesarean section. Any complication?

I had a cesarean in May 2012.Can i Start excersing in Gym like thread mill and cycling.
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

First of all, congratulations on your baby.

Now coming to the details of how and when to start exercising after a cesarean section, which is considered a major surgery, and after which a certain amount of time has to be given for healing.

Let me help you by giving you an order of events advised to mothers with a similar queries.
-The first thing you will have to do is to start walking around, which I am sure you would have already done a few weeks after surgery
-Pelvic floor exercises (to strengthen your pelvic muscles, which are weakest immediately after surgery, and will have to be strengthened to avoid prolapse)
-Regular exercises for abdominal muscles (abdominal crunches)
-Exercises like aerobics and swimming
-Once all these have successfully been completed, after a duration of about 4-6 months from the cesarean it is considered safe and advisable to start with gym exercises. These above mentioned activities help in strengthening of your muscles and preparing you for more serious exercises, which is why I found it important to mention

Thread mill and cycling are considered safe to initiate even earlier than 6 months, it has been almost 11 months since you last delivered, so in my opinion this should be completely safe. Please also consult your doctor before you start these.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be happy to help.

Best wishes.