Stage 4 uterine sarcoma. on deitary supplements, flax oil. chemotherapy done. Will these help in remission of disease ?

Hi, are there cases where stage 4 uterine sarcoma (bone and lung metastases) have gone into remission following chemo? is there any hope ? my mother have had 3 cycles of chemo..will have PET CT after 15 days. . Also, started dietary supplements (barley, beta glucan)..will diet and supplements and flax oil in great distress..please help.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

I am very sorry to hear that your mother has been found to have stage IV endometrial stromal sarcoma . As you may have discussed with her oncologist this can be a very aggressive type of cancer. The fact that it has metastasized certainly can't make this very difficult to treat.

I have to be very honest with you in saying that a chore is really not possible. However, chemotherapy may provide a good source of maintenance of current quality of life for a period of time. It is impossible to predict the longevity of your mother at this time as well. Each patient behaves in an individual manner and therapy is given only in careful consideration of the patient's current status and strength as well as nutritional status.

Chemotherapy can sometimes keep the disease from progressing rapidly. In addition, sometimes radiation therapy is offered if patients develop pain. In your mother's case if she is suffering from pain in the leg or any other part of the body a radiation oncologist may be asked to give an opinion regarding what we refer to ask palliative radiation.

I know this is very difficult for you to talk about and understand at the same time. I hope I am going to be able to provide you with adequate information. I reviewed the pathology report and the MRI study and I am very confident that the physicians in your mothers location are performing adequately and according to appropriate standards given this diagnosis.

If she is relatively strong and otherwise relatively healthy I would recommend a course of chemotherapy as if she is obtaining right now and depending on the results of the scan which she is scheduled for continuation of chemotherapy will be decided upon. If for some reason she is demonstrating progression while on this current chemotherapy alternative chemotherapy may be considered. In addition if she develops severe pain which makes it quite difficult for her to function it may be necessary to place her on stronger pain medications.

I hope again that this answer has been helpful for you. I appreciate your question and sharing in what is going on with your mother. I look forward to hearing back from you can follow up so that I can continue to provide you with appropriate responses.

Dr. Galamaga