Stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Co morbidities are hypertension and ischemic heart disease. Having distended abdomen. What is the survival period?

My mom is 96 and dx last week with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Recent sx are weight loss, anorexia, diarrhea and distended abdomen. Co morbidities are hypertension and ischemic heart disease. She is alert, oriented and ambulatory. While I know that it is impossible to say with certainty how long she can survive, can you give me an estimated time frame? Thank you
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Approximately 6-10 months. Variable

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using XXXXXXX

I am sorry for your mothers condition.

With stage 4 pancreatic cancer the survival may vary between 6 - 10 months months. But without any active treatment, due to metastasis the survival rate is 3–5 months. But all these are the average taken among the patients suffered.

Usually pancreatic cancer are diagnosed at the later stages due to no symptoms initially. Hence your mother is diagnosed as pancreatic cancer at this stage.

Kindly continue all her hypertension and ischemic heart disease medications. Symptomatic treatment should be given to her and also follow her Doctor's advice.

Hope this answered your question. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries or doubts and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wish you good health. Take care.