Stage 2 diabetic. Taking medicine for blood pressure, cholesterol. Snoring while sleeping. What to be done?

ENT Specialist
We sleep in separate rooms as I snore. When I goo into my husbands room in the morning there is a waxy smell. He is 73, has stage 2 diabetes and is taking an assortment of tablets for blood pressure, cholestral and warfarin following a TIA. He is impotent and always tired.
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 40 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
The waxy smell in the room could either be due to the secretions of your husband’s sweat and sebaceous glands or due to an intake of certain substances like alcohol or simply due to inadequate ventilation. In addition, I would also like to consider the possibility of it being a ketotic breath or severe dehydration.
The most important thing here is that his diabetes is not adequately controlled ( given he is always tired and he has had TIA as well)
So the first step here would be to do a blood glucose and a urine check for ketones. Please see his physician and get this evaluated.
If these tests are fine, we can be reassured that we are not missing anything.