Stabbing pains in the stomach. Had belly button infection, taken incomplete course of antibiotics. Is the pain due to the persisting infection?

Infertility Specialist
7 months ago my belly button got infected, and I was prescribed anti-biotics. A few of the tablets fell on the floor so I carelessly didn't complete the full prescription of anti-biotics. I now sometimes experience stabbing pains in my stomach. They're not that frequent, and never severe, so until now I haven't really thought about them. I was just wondering if I should be concerned about the bacteria from my infection still, since it was so long ago?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Thank you for posting the query. I understand your concern about not completing the antibiotic course.
I would like to reassure you that the stabbing pain that you are currently experiencing is unrelated to the incomplete course of antibiotics.
Stabbing pain in the abdomen can arise from an infection, due to excessive production of acid. For this pain, the following measures will help:
a.     Avoid excessive caffeine, alcohol and smoking
b.     Take frequent, light meals
c.     Tablet Prevacid OTC once daily will help relieve the symptoms
d.     Please consult your physician if the pain persists despite these measures

I would like to emphasize, however, that it is important to take the complete course of an antibiotic. This helps prevent emergence of resistance in organisms and treats the condition effectively. Resistance in organisms can make the drug ineffective against the organism, the next time an infection occurs.
I will be available for follow up queries.