Stabbing pain in kidney area, high BP, no UTI or kidney infections with normal urine tests. Any other kidney problem?

My back has Been aching by my kidney area? Yesterday I was feeling stabbing little pains on both sides. Not a lot. I went to dr and my blood pressure was up. 140... He did a urine sample and it was normal. He said he saw no uti or kidney infection/stones. My aching pain started Sunday evening. I was having first on my left side and I drank water and it went away. I haven't felt it since. I'm just feeling like a sore aching feeling on my left side now. I think around my kidney area and higher. Hes gonna have me do blood work today toY see if my kidneys are functioning well. Also to see why my blood pressure was high. He's hoping those to don't have something to do with each other. I'm getting thyroid and my sugar tested also. I have no other symptoms besides sore aching feeling. It does not burn when I pee or anything. I don't really drink water but now I have been drinking a lot since Sunday. I'm scared there's something wrong with my kidneys.. Is there a high chance there is? I have been stressed. I was having headaches before so I was stressing over that. There gone now but now this. I have no family history of kidney problems. My pains are not constant just that sore feeling
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting query.

You say you had stabbing pains on both sides of abdomen yesterday, and your blood pressure was 140 mmHg systolic. Your routine urine exam was normal. You want to know whether it has anything to do with the kidneys.

Well you are going to get a work up but a sonography included if possible will help to rule out a kidney stone which is a little likely in your case on the left side since you seem to feel the ache more on that side.

The blood pressure must be due to anxiety.

Yes, kidney problems can also raise blood pressure but it is usually a much higher level. In any case whatever the outcome of the tests, it should be managable, so do not worry.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do get back if you have any follow up query.

Follow-up: Stabbing pain in kidney area, high BP, no UTI or kidney infections with normal urine tests. Any other kidney problem? 14 hours later
I took my blood pressure today and it was normal. I don't really feel the pains no more. I did get my blood taken out today. Could it also be muscle pains or nerves? I feel them on my neck.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 3 minutes later

Thanks again.

Pain in the neck does not radiate down to the back. Hence I do not feel this might be due to neuropathy. But some amount of anxiety and psychological strain can cause similar symptoms in many individuals.

Muscle ache is another possibility.

It's good to know that the pain has gone and you are better now. But do consider getting the ultrasound tests done if the symptoms recur again.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer by indicating so if you are satisfied and do not have any follow up queries.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Stabbing pain in kidney area, high BP, no UTI or kidney infections with normal urine tests. Any other kidney problem? 9 hours later
Well I still do feel the pains. They feel like they are on my sides. Sometimes on my righ side I feel twitching. I don't know if it's kidneys or something else. I feel it on both sides. What other possibility can it be? I'm just scared it something bad. I have never experienced this before. Should I got get Massaged? if the blood work comes back fine, I do t know what to do if I still feel back pain?
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 14 hours later

Thanks again.

I am sorry that you are suffering with this problem. From the outset, I think the following conditions may be the cause of your pain:

1. Muscle ache.
2. Kidney problem.
3. Anxiety and psychological strain.
4. Some nutritional (commonly mineral/vitamin deficiency).

The blood reports and ultrasound examination can help us narrow down the possibilities.

Meanwhile, the following may be helpful to you till you get your blood reports.
1. Proper rest
2. Heat fomentation and topical analgesics.
3. You can take the following - calcium 500mgs, Vitamin E-400iu, B-12 1500mcg, B-1 2mgs and B-6-3mgs. Sometimes these symptoms can be due to mineral/vitamin deficiencies and supplementing from outside may help. You can choose a multivitamin -mineral preparation with contents close to what I have suggested.

After the reports come, and if they are normal, you can take a mild pain killer and anti inflammatory preparation likes motrin after reviewing with your physician.

Hope this suffices. Please accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.

Wish you good health.