Stabbing pain in abdomen. Ultrasound showed cyst also found gestational sac. Do blood pregnancy test?

I was having sharp stabbing pain on the lower right side below my stomach. I called my Gynecologist and she had me get an ultrasound to make sure there isn't cyst that could be causing the pain. The ultrasound showed that there was indeed a cyst on my right ovary. While the person that was doing my ultrasound was looking at my uterus with the trans-vaginal device, she also noticed a gestational sac. So after having the gynecologist view the findings, she ordered me to have a blood pregnancy test which I got done on May 7, 2012. She is aware of my last menstrual cycle which was April 17, 2012. My question is, after reading much information on the web about gestational sac's im confused. Is it too early to do a blood pregnancy test in this part of my cycle and to see a gestational sac? Could this have been a mistake?
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later

I would like to know whether the cycle was regular and you had normal amount of blood loss, not merely spotting on 17th of April.

As sometimes there is bleeding along with pregnancy and one gets confused.

One has to look for an ectopic pregnancy in such cases.

You were having acute pain in lower abdomen along with ovarian cyst as well as gestational sac in utero, if these findings are correct then you are having an early intrauterine pregnancy along with ovarian cyst which can be a simple serous cyst or a corpus luteum cyst or an endometriotic cyst.
Your doctor has done beta HCG in blood as you have not missed your periods so in urine test will not be positive.

You have to wait for the blood reports and USG will be repeated after 10-15days.

Wait and see what happens to next cycle, whether you miss your periods or not.

As you have not mentioned about your previous obstetric history, I am not sure whether you want to continue with this accidental detection of pregnancy or not.

For ovarian cyst treatment is done according to the size with the help of antibiotics and antispasmodics.

In early pregnancy no drug should be taken without doctor's advice and guidance.

Best wishes.

Any further query is most welcome.
Follow-up: Stabbing pain in abdomen. Ultrasound showed cyst also found gestational sac. Do blood pregnancy test? 1 hour later
I have normal cycles 26 to 28 days.... The Ob delivered my daughter who is now 9, so I do trust her. My husband and I have been trying for a year. Maybe in just having the "this can't be possible" feelings because this actually could be it. Yes I bled normally on April 17 for 6 days.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 5 hours later

Welcome back.

As your doctor have found gestational sac, your doctors are right in ordering blood hCG levels. You should wait for the results. The test may be repeated again if needed before classifying the ultrasound features as false

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need any more assistance.

Thank you and Best wishes