Stabbing pain at the top of leg near hamstring. Stretching aggravates pain. Advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have an aching sdometimes stabbing pain at the top of my right leg where I think the hamstring may attach. This has been going on for 6 mths plus. I have rested it for last 2-3 months but is still there. Im very flexible and had been doing pilates but have stopped because the stretching was aggravating it.Its particularly sore if I bend over from the hips with straight legs
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 minutes later
Aching on the top of right leg is likely to be due to a mild muscle sprain or tear. Repeated injuries and inadequate warming up and stretching before moving the muscles increases the chances of pain.
Doing too much,too soon and too fast creates problem.
Repeated injuries cause formation of scar tissue and subsequently complete healing doesn't take place .
Other factors are
Poor fitness levels and lack of regular exercises
Poor nutrition and obesity
Some times referred pain from bulging discs is the reason.

Treatment is done by
Icing of the area of the pain.
Take both legs towards chest with hands below knees
Full recovery takes 3 to 6 weeks.

Take enough calcium, VIT D3 and B complex vitamins
Do stretching for 15 minutes before you do any exercise
Use proper shoes
Strengthening your hamstrings with proper exercise.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.