Stabbed in the eye. Scratched cornea. Had to take medicadit drops. Why does it still hurt? Are particles still stuck to eye?

Hi in 2010 I was working landscaping and had gotten something in my eye I was stabbed with a stick by accident when I turned around it was there I went to the hospital and they told me that I scratched my cornia and that to take some medicadit drops now more than a year later I still wake up feeling like there is something in my eye and every now and then it hurts I've been to the doctor for it is it possible that a piece of stick broke off and got stuck in my eye somewhere. what should I do
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 1 hour later

Thank for the query.

It is unlikely that a piece was left behind in your eye.

You may have a condition known as recurrent corneal erosion syndrome.

Recurrent corneal erosion is a disorder of the eyes characterized by the failure of the cornea's outermost layer of epithelial cells to attach to the underlying basement membrane (Bowman's layer) as a result of a previous corneal abrasion. The condition is excruciatingly painful because the loss of these cells results in the exposure of sensitive corneal nerves.

Given that episodes tend to occur on awakening and managed by use of good 'wetting agents', approaches to be taken to help prevent episodes include:

* ensuring that the air is humidified rather than dry, not overheated and without excessive airflow over the face. Also avoiding irritants such as cigarette smoke.
* use of protective glasses especially when gardening or playing with children.

General personal measures

* maintaining general hydration levels with adequate fluid intake and reducing evening alcohol consumption
* not sleeping-in late as the cornea tends to dry out the longer the eyelids are open

Pre-bed routine

* routine use of long-lasting eye ointments (e.g. lacrilube/Polyvisc) applied before going to bed

Waking options

* learn to wake with eyes closed and still and keeping artificial tear drops within reach so that they may be squirted under the inner corner of the eyelids if the eyes feel uncomfortable upon waking
* It has also been suggested that the eyelids should be rubbed gently, or pulled slowly open with your fingers, before trying to open them, or keeping the affected eye closed while "looking" left and right to help spread lubricating tears. If the patient's eyelids feel stuck to the cornea on waking and no intense pain is present, use a fingertip to press firmly on the eyelid to push the eye's natural lubricants onto the affected area. This procedure frees the eyelid from the cornea and prevents tearing of the cornea.

Do try these methods and your eye will be fine. I will be available for furthur queries.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah