Squeezing sensation in arm, headache, dizziness. Diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse. Should I be concerned?

I've had a squeezing sensation in my upper right arm that has come on gradually over the past 3 days. It feels similar to a blood pressure cuff only more mild. I've also had headaches and mild dizziness. I can't remember if I've recently banged my arm at work or not. The pain is mild but intermittent. It does feel like a blood constriction of some kind though. I've been diagnosed with mitro valve prolapse within the past few years. I am 38 yrs old, a smoker and drink regularly. Should I be concerned enough to go to ER or just see my doctor soon?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later
As I believe that more information can help a physician help you better, I would request you to answer the following questions on your symptoms related to your pain:
1. Do you have any associated chest pain?
2. Does the pain increase with exertion and decrease on rest?
3. Do you have sweating, nausea or any other symptoms?
Your symptoms currently are suggestive of angina, a condition in which the heart muscles do not receive sufficient blood so as to function properly. I would suggest the following:
a.     Go to the Emergency Room (ER) and get yourself examined by a physician. Further tests like an electrocardiogram (ECG), and cardiac markers like CPK (Creatine phosphokinase),aspartate transaminase (AST), and lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) may be required
b.     Do not exert yourself unduly. This includes indulging in heavy meals, moderate to heavy exercise
c.     Try and quit smoking and regularly consuming alcohol. These factors increase the risk of heart disease.

Awaiting your reply.
I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.