Sputum with grey color. Concerned about the pulmonary system

Pulmonologist
Question
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am bit worried now with regard to my Pulmonary system as I am getting Sputum with grey color from past a year and the instances will be during winter saeson.

Is there any specific reason for the grey or Cement colored sputum.

Please guide.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 3 hours later

As I believe that more information can help a physician arrive at an accurate diagnosis, I request you to answer the following questions:

1. Do you have any other symptom apart from sputum production like breathlessness, chest pain, fever, cold, sneezing, blocked nose, etc.?

2. Do you have any previous history of any chest complaints or disease in the past including childhood?

3. Do you smoke? If yes, then for many years and how many cigarettes do you smoke daily?

4. Are you exposed to heavy air pollution or any other occupational dust/fumes?

5. Do you have any associated whistling sound during breathing?

6. Do you have a history of any allergy?

7. Did you ever get yourself examined for this? If yes, were you investigated & what were the results?

Please do let me know the details so that I can advise accordingly.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: Sputum with grey color. Concerned about the pulmonary system 15 minutes later
Dear Sir,

First of all thank you very much for the concern and I have answered the questions accordingly. Please find the responses below.

A) I often have breathlessness in Winter season and I struggle a bit to breathe freely due to my sinus problem. For this I have undergone Nasal Septum Surgery in Sep 2007.

A) No Sir.

A) I dont Smoke sir.

A) Might be correct as Iam residing in Chennai where in Air Pollution is more.

A) In winter alone.

A) No sir

A) I haven't done any examination for this sir. If there is any specific test for this do let me know sir.

Thank you sir.

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 41 minutes later

Thanks for your response.

After going through your follow up response, I would like to comment the following:

1. You probably seem to be suffering from allergic rhinosinusitis with obstructive airway disease.

2. Thus your seasonal symptoms of breathlessness, wheezing and cough point towards the associated asthma or post nasal drip syndrome.

3. You should visit a pulmonologist and get yourself examined in detail.

4. The following investigations may be required:
*Detailed clinical examination by a pulmonologist
*Complete blood count, peripheral smear for eosinophil
*Serum IgE levels
*Chest Xray
*Sputum Cytology, fungus, AFB smear and culture & Gram stain and culture
*Pulmonary function test (Spirometry with reversibility) available with a pulmonologist
* Bronchoscopy and CT thorax are optional and may be required as per your above evaluation results.

5. After your diagnosis is confirmed you will be advised medications accordingly like antibiotics, Inhalers, nasal spray, oral bronchodilators and anti histaminic and asthma preventive medications.

6. You are also advised to consult your doctor regarding annual influenza vaccination & 5 yearly pneumococcal vaccinations from your physician.

Thus you need to visit a pulmonologist and get yourself evaluated in detail as mentioned above.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Regards & take care.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB