Spreading pink spots in the eyes of a 4 year old. No pain or irritation. Should be concerned?

pink eye?my daughter is 4 years old and she has these pink spots on each eye. she isn't complaining they hurt, they aren't watering, she isn't rubbing or itching them. it kind of seems like its spreading in one eye. what could this be? is it something to worry about?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 41 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Causes of pink eye include:
* Viruses
* Bacteria
* Allergies
* A chemical splash in the eye
* A foreign object in the eye

Viral conjunctivitis and bacterial conjunctivitis may affect one or both eyes. Viral conjunctivitis usually produces a watery discharge. Bacterial conjunctivitis often produces a thicker, yellow-green discharge. Both viral and bacterial conjunctivitis can be associated with colds or with symptoms of a respiratory infection, such as a sore throat.

Both viral and bacterial types are very contagious. Adults and children alike can develop both of these types of pink eye. However, bacterial conjunctivitis is more common in children than it is in adults.

Allergic conjunctivitis affects both eyes and is a response to an allergy-causing substance such as pollen. In response to allergens, your body produces an antibody called immunoglobulin E (IgE). This antibody triggers special cells called mast cells in the mucous lining of your eyes and airways to release inflammatory substances, including histamines. Your body's release of histamine can produce a number of allergy signs and symptoms, including red or pink eyes.

If you have allergic conjunctivitis, you may experience intense itching, tearing and inflammation of the eyes — as well as sneezing and watery nasal discharge. Most allergic conjunctivitis can be controlled with allergy eye drops.

I would suggest that you consult a competent ophthalmologist and start treatment as early as possible.

Also, you have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

I will be available for further queries.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah