Spreading lesion with clear discharge on the face. Not healing. Treatment?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi, I have a lesion on my face which seems to be spreading. It seems like pimples with a clear discharge which do not seem to heal. Can you help??
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX ,
Pimples or acne are infection of the sebaceous glands and the spectrum of lesiosn range from white heads, black heads, pustules, nodules and cysts.
Clear fluid containing skin lesions are not a part of acne spectrum and hence should most likely be something else.
Clear fluid containing lesions like vesicles and bullae can be as a result of bacterial infection - Impetigo, viral lesions like herpes etc.
I would be in a better position to give you a likely diagnosis if you could please send me a photograph.

Dr.Rohit Batra

Follow-up: Spreading lesion with clear discharge on the face. Not healing. Treatment? 15 minutes later
Thank you for the response. I am trying to upload a photograph but there does not seems to be anywhere to do so on this web page.

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 12 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for sending the picture. I had a good look at it.

The lesions around your lips show a golden crusting which is characteristic of a bacterial infection- bullous impetigo and you need a course of oral and topical antibiotic.
However the area as shown by you is near oral cavity and Herpes Labialis occurs in this area. Hence it needs to be ruled out.

My suggestion is “if the lesions are recurrent and if they start with a burning sensation and fluid filled lesions occur to form crusts later - then you should consult a dermatologist the very first day of eruption of new fluid filled lesions to make a confirmed diagnosis and to rule out Herpes labialis”.

Repeated Bullous impetigo can occur due to bacterial infection that keeps growing in nose. The bacteria from the nose can reinfect after treatment. To prevent the recurrence, I suggest applying antibiotic cream in the nose while treating bullous impetigo.

Hope I was able to provide you with a satisfactory answer. Should you have any doubts regarding my suggestions, I will be happy to answer them.

Please accept my answer if satisfied.

Dr.Rohit Batra