Spreading bumps on lips, itching and burning. Diagnosed as allergic reaction. Chances of HPV?

I have had and small unoticable bumps on my lips for some time
(like three), they did not hurt and it was nothing I was concernered about. Until i ate a spicy sandwich and it started to spread one day and get bigger, then after two days it went away back to being unnoticible. Then I ate a spicy sandwich again and it spread all over my top lip and bottom alittle to the side of my eye, it itches and burns. My Doctor said it was an allergic reaction, but I'm afraid it could have something to do with the fact i have HPV. They are tiny bumps, they look like a rash
Posted Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 47 minutes later
From youir description, it seems that the lesions you have around your lips are likely to be due to an allergic reaction.
Such lesions usually show improvement with 1% hydrocortisone ointment and avoiding the specific foods to which you are allergic.
The best way to know the status of your infection is by going for a HPV DNA test. There are now several such DNA HPV tests, some of which have been approved for marketing by the FDA, that can detect either the majority of the high-risk types of HPV or specific subtypes, such as HPV-16 and HPV-18. You can get this test done from any laboratory.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Spreading bumps on lips, itching and burning. Diagnosed as allergic reaction. Chances of HPV? 5 hours later
What does oral hpv look like?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Oral HPV infections are characterized by blisters around mouth, on tongue or in the oral cavity, warts, proliferative persistent lesions which do not frequently wax and wane. If your lesions subside on using a steroid ointment, then allergic cause is likely.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.