Sprained foot. Developed redness and burning sensation around the base of toe. What's wrong?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014
Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hi
I sprained the top of my foot, just beneath the ankle, a week ago after stepping on a soccer ball and the swelling has mostly disappeared. However, the skin on top of my foot is very sensitive to the touch (burning sensation) and there is a dull redness around the base of the toes. I did not ice the swelling at all as it and the pain were very mild. What could the problem be?
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 42 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Sprained ankle and foot takes 2-3 weeks to heal if principle of RICE (Rest, Icing, crepe bandage compression and elevation of foot) was followed.

Burning Sensation over top of foot seems due to superficial nerve fibers damage during sprain and inflammation.

This will go off gradually over 7-10 days with anti-inflammatory drug like ibuprofen and rest to the foot and ankle.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Sprained foot. Developed redness and burning sensation around the base of toe. What's wrong? 16 minutes later
Thanks you very much. Your answer confirmed my suspicions. I'll follow your advice.
Good health to you as well.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 12 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query again.

I am glad to know that I was able to address your concern.

Please close the query if you have no other questions. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

You can consult me again directly through my profile WWW.WWWW.WW
Wishing you speedy recovery...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.