Sprained ankle, blue, numb and cold. X-ray and a CT scan showed no fractures. How to heel?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I sprained my ankle 7 weeks ago. I've had xray and a CT scan - results: no fractures - I'm experiencing poor circulation ie the sprained foot is blue and feeling numb - I get pins when I apply pressure . Its colder than my uninjured foot ...
Any advice on what I should do to assist in healing? should I be walking on it as much as possible? should I be resting it?
The symptoms always gets worst towards the end of the day.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for writing us.

As now 7 weeks passed since your ankle sprain, it's time to do physiotherapy exercises to regain the strength of muscle and ligaments around ankle and foot. This will assist in healing.
At the end of day when you symptoms get worse, do hot fomatation and apply muscle relaxant gel. Elevate the limb over pillows to reduce the pain and swelling.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon