Sprained ankle. Wearing a gel cast. Taking ibupofren. Can I walk with the cast? How long will it take to heal?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
How long does a category one sprained ankle takes to heal after wearing a gel cast using pennsaid drops n taking ibupofren 800 mgs. Also could i walk with the cast? Dont want to mske it worst
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Around 3-5 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Strictly speaking, You are not supposed to bear weight on the affected leg because any amount of movement occuring at the injury site tend to disrupt the healing tissue between the disrupted ends of the ligaments.

So, I suggest you to give adequate rest to the injured area and not involve in any activities that puts additional strain on the injured soft tissues.

Hope I have justified your query. I welcome any more clarifications.

Follow-up: Sprained ankle. Wearing a gel cast. Taking ibupofren. Can I walk with the cast? How long will it take to heal? 11 hours later
Should I go to a physical therapist to obtain any time of therapy or massage for my ankle to get better?
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No Physiotherapy upto 3 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

No physiotherapy is to be done untill a minimum of 3 weeks. And massage is not advisable as it may cause more harm to the deeper tissues and may result in stiffening of the ankle.

There is no way to hasten the healing process in ligamentous injuries. The process of healing proceeds naturally.

Hope everything is clear now. Good day