Sprained ankle. Noticed swelling and pain in lower leg. What should I do to get relief?

I sprained my ankle last week. Xrays were negative. Its very swollen and painful. Almost right away, I experienced pain in my lower leg, XXXXXXX etc. Today, I've been walking a lot on (xmas shopping) the ankle with an ace bandage on. I looked at my leg and noticed my lower leg is quite swollen and painful to the touch. I'm concerned I may have caused more problems. I just want to be sure it's not infected or worse, clot.
Posted Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
A normal x-ray has ruled out the fracture.
I don't think there is any local infection as it would have resulted in fever.
Your problem of increased pain and swelling seems to be due to continued walking and absence of rest.
Do the following
Take complete rest
Do some local icing although it is most effective in initial 72 hours.
Elevate your leg for few hours in a day as it shall help in reducing the swelling.
Take ibuprofen 600 mg three times a day for 5 to 7 days.
Avoid putting pressure on the ankle till you are able to do it without pain.

You should be all right considerably within next 3 to 4 days.
If there is no improvement or if pain increases,then you are advised to consult a doctor as it could be a torn ligament,which may require a surgery.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck