Sprained ankle. Having pain when touched. Having cramping ache. Normal?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I sprained my ankle two weeks ago. I went to the doctor and had x-rays, they said there was no break. The swelling and bruising have dissipated almost completely. However, I still have pain. Particularly when I touch the top of my foot or the outer side (near the knuckle looking part of the ankle). I also am experiencing a cramping ache throughout the ankle the actually turns my stomach multiple times a day. Is this normal to a sprain or should I have it looked t again?
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 46 minutes later

Sprained ankle will take 2-4 weaks to heal depending upon the severity of sprain. Do not worry, having some pain still after 2 weaks and cramps over ankle are normal to sprain.

I suggest you to give rest to your ankle for one more weak. Doing hot fomatation and applying muscle relaxant gel will be helpful.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Dr Saurabh XXXXXXX
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Sprained ankle. Having pain when touched. Having cramping ache. Normal? 10 minutes later
Is there anything I should do for the nausea/dizziness associated with the cramping?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 16 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

For nausea/ dizziness associated with cramps-
Drink plenty of water, take electrolyte XXXXXXX fluid.

Hope this will helps you.

Warm regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta