Sprained ankle. Given ibuprofen and gel ankle cast. How long will it take to get better?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I sprained my ankle three weeks ago Saw a specialist and he determined its type 1 he gave me ibupofren 800 mgs and some drops (pennsaid) Also an gel ankle cast that i can take off daily How long will i get better?
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may take you another 2 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Type I ankle sprain is a minor injury and it resolves with rest and mild pain killers in 4-6 weeks. If proper rest is not given then mild pain may be persistent for 2-3 more weeks.
It is best to use the ankle cast during the day and take it off only while sleeping. Keep your foot elevated on two pillows while resting to avoid any swelling.
You can start with passive stretching exercises after the acute pain subsides under the guidance of your physiotherapist for a complete recovery.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Sprained ankle. Given ibuprofen and gel ankle cast. How long will it take to get better? 16 minutes later
In regards to the Pennsaid drops is that effective?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes. Do continue using it.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
Pennsaid drops decrease the local pain and inflammation and help in early recovery. Do continue using them.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.