Spotting, cramps, back pain. Stopped taking pills. May be pregnant. Can you give any advice?

Question
I think I may be pregnant??
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Follow-up: Spotting, cramps, back pain. Stopped taking pills. May be pregnant. Can you give any advice? 5 minutes later
sorry, I should have put my previous question in more detail. I was on ortho tryclcyn lo have been for years... I missed a few pills last month and just ended my period last week, it was shorter and lighter. I took many HPT; some were positive some were negative. I have all the pregnancy sypmtoms. I've been pregnant twice with no miscarriages. I had a tiny bit of spotting a few days ago after my period but have been having lower abdominal cramps along with lower back pain. I had unprotected sex with my husband a few times last month and just had sex a few days ago. I stopped taking my pills (28 pills) as of this last sunday because I think I'm pregnant and am hoping to be. Can you give any advice please???

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Taking pills irregularly reduces their effectiveness and makes you more prone to pregnancy. The irregular spotting that you are having might be due to the withdrawal bleeding after stopping the pills.
Your chances fo being pregnant are there. Since your urine tests are indecisive, you can consult a gynecologist who will do a serum beta HCG test and a pelvic ultrasound to confirm or rule out pregnancy.
Do not take any pills until pregnancy is completely ruled out.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Spotting, cramps, back pain. Stopped taking pills. May be pregnant. Can you give any advice? 1 hour later
So being pregnant is a good possibility? My back has been killing me and i've been having lower abdominal pain (like menstral pain) for the last 5 days. I've been having bad headaches, bad heartburn, a little bit of nausea, dizzy spells, exhausted all the time. No one will see me until i've missed a period :( The spotting was like 2-3 drops of light light pink blood. I really hope I am pregnant!

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

Your symptoms are suggestive of pregnancy but the exact diagnosis can only be made after the periods are overdue.

You need to take rest for now and consult your gynecologist once the periods are overdue (say may be by a week).

Hope this answer is helpful.

Regards.

Follow-up: Spotting, cramps, back pain. Stopped taking pills. May be pregnant. Can you give any advice? 8 hours later
My period isn't due until the end of the month or so... Do you think I could take a HPT in a week then? Since i'm off the pill I could get my period at any time right? I never had regular periods before I was on the pill.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Hello.
If your periods were irregular then I suggest you to test for pregnancy by a highly sensitive pregnancy test 14 days post unprotected sex with a sensitive ( 20 - 25 mIU ) pregnancy test. Also then I would suggest you to get your serum HCG levels estimated since this is more specific than urine for pregnancy tests.
Regards.