Spotting, blood discharge. Have unprotected sex. Not normal for me

Question
Hi excuse I started spotting on July 3 & my period isn't due until the 5th & I'm bleeding bright red with some blood discharge not alo though but this isn't normal for me & I have unprotected sex
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Follow-up: Spotting, blood discharge. Have unprotected sex. Not normal for me 2 minutes later
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.
While I understand your concern, it is normal for any lady's period to get preponed or postponed by 1 week. This occurs in women with normal cycles as well.
But since you say this is unusual and the blood is bright red, we could be dealing with an abortion. The only way to know is to do a beta hCG level in the blood since I would not be expecting a urine pregnancy test to become positive at this stage ( it takes about 1 week after a missed period to become positive). This test can be done at a local lab and if these levels are elevated, we would be looking for an ultrasound of the pelvis for you. This will help make sure that no products of conception are left ( since these can get infected and cause problems later on)
As far as conceiving is concerned, I would seriously suggest that you reconsider this decision. Teen pregnancies are not only associated with a higher level of complications for the mother, they have adverse consequences for the child as well. It would be prudent to wait for 3-4 years so your body is mature enough to handle the stress of a pregnancy. This would be better for you and your child.
Hope this helps
Let me know if I can address any more concerns

Follow-up: Spotting, blood discharge. Have unprotected sex. Not normal for me 5 minutes later
My mother thinks I'm pregnant but I cant get tested till the 6th which is Friday but what's an abortion ? I really been trying too get pregnant over 1 year . Please help !

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 10 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
An abortion is a condition when the pregnancy gets terminated due to known or unknown reasons. Your mother could be right about the pregnancy. But if you're actively bleeding, then we could be looking at an abortion. In the condition that you had little bleeding like few drops only, we could be looking at something called implantation bleeding. The latter is a condition when the zygote (fertilized ovum and sperm together) gets into the wall of the uterus.
If you have been trying to get pregnant, please go to the ER. They would need to do a transvaginal ultrasound to know whats going on. Also, you should be on complete bed rest and do not undertake any physical activity.
The serum beta hCG level needs to be done in 3-4 days to ensure that we are definitely not missing a pregnancy
Hope this helps
Let me know if I can help you further

Follow-up: Spotting, blood discharge. Have unprotected sex. Not normal for me 4 minutes later
Well honestly I don't know but I bleed redish brownish a little nothing like my period but I'm just concerned because this never happend too me , but what should I do ? And thank you for helping me.

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 7 minutes later
Thanks for writing back
I understand your concern. As of now, the best would be to wait and watch for atleast 3-4 days. You should be on total bed rest and definitely should not be picking up any heavy stuff.
Also, if you do not get your period in the next 3-4 days, get a serum beta hCG level done. This will help us know if you're pregnant or not.
Thats what is needed at this point in time.
In any case, get back to me should you have any more doubts

Ok then will do thank you very much.

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 minutes later
I'm glad I could help. Please close this discussion if you have no more questions
Dr Aparna