Spotting between periods around ovulation time. What would involve a scan for polyps?

I have had some spotting in between periods, always around ovulation time, for the last 4 months. My doctor wants me to have a scan for polpys. What would this involve and does it sound like polps? I had hoped it was ovulation bleeding.
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 38 minutes later
Abnormal bleeding in between periods is a fairly common occurrence and can be due to multiple causes like- polyps, endometriosis, dysfunctional uterine bleeding, cervical erosions, malignancy and at the time of ovulation- where it is associated with slight crampy abdomen pain.
You should get a Pap smear, intravaginal ultrasound and per speculum examination by a gynecologist and receive treatment according to the problem detected.
I hope the advise would be useful for you.
Follow-up: Spotting between periods around ovulation time. What would involve a scan for polyps? 1 hour later
If the spotting was caused by polyps or the other reasons you have listed would it always be around ovulation time or would there be several incidents of spotting during a monthly cycle and at different times?
Also was interested to know if any of the causes you listed could be a reason for my premature labour and late miscarriage?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Welcome back,
These problems will cause spotting any time and a spotting in the middle of cycle with pain which is absent during other times is suggestive of Mittlesmerz- the bleeding related to ovulation.
The listed problems would not cause premature labor/abortion in late pregnancy.
I hope that clarifies your doubts.
Follow-up: Spotting between periods around ovulation time. What would involve a scan for polyps? 37 minutes later
Hi, that's very helpful, thanks. I was wondering if it was possible to develop Mittlesmerz at the age of 39, having never noticed it before? Bearing in mind that until my first pregnancy at age 36 I was on the contraceptive pill since the age of 16, so cannot really remember what my true cycle is like. Also since trying for another baby at age 37, I became much more aware of my cycle but did not spot between periods.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 10 hours later
Welcome back.
In your case chances of mittlesmerz are less and other possibilities more probable
please have a physical examination by your gynecologist.
I hope that answers your query.