Spotting before period, nausea, tender breast, low appetite, back pain. Should I be concerned?

Two days before period was due I wiped and had mucus with a steak of red. Then nothing the rest of the day. The next day i had a little brown and pink spot when i wiped then nothing. The next day i started having bright red watery thin bleeding without cramping. I have also had a better sence of smell, nausea, and breast tenderness, loss of appetite, and minor lower back discomfort. Is there something wrong with me? I usually have a heavier menstral flow with really painful cramping.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

The mild spotting and brownish discharge that you are having could be due to
1. Impending period.
2. Implantation bleed which is mostly only spotting and lasts only for few days
3. Blighted ovum or missed abortion in which case there will be a longer bout of bleeding and a negative pregnancy test after a few weeks
4. Ectopic pregnancy with nonviable embryo and withdrawal bleeding following that.

You can do a pregnancy test using the home pregnancy test kits available over the counter or consult your physician for a blood test which is more accurate to confirm or rule out pregnancy.

Depending on these your obstetrician will be able to guide you to the further course of treatment and management.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.