Spotting after rough sex, bleeding heavier than periods. Could I have sustained some injury?

General Surgeon
Yes please. I had a normal period on November 15 that lasted about 4 days. I am not on any contraceptive. I had a normal pap in early October. I had sex on November 25. It was intense and rough at times. I spotted right then. However, the next day I had bright red bleeding that has been heavier than my period. I am still bleeding on the 4th day. Could I have sustained some type of injury? I plan on making an appointment to see my obgyn, however I was waiting for the bleeding to stop in case she wants to do a pap smear.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

Rough and intense sexual intercourse some times causes injury to vagina or peri urethral area .

Peri urethral injury generally bleed more than vaginal injury .

But in case of peri urethral injury bleeding starts immediately not after some time .

Bright red blood indicates traumatic fresh bleed, but most of times such bleeding stops in such a long duration of 4 days.

Most probably it is a traumatic bleed .

I don`t think there is need to repeat Pap at such a short period one or two month.

It is nice on your part to have appointment with the obgyn. and start the the treatment as per their advice.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

“Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”

Follow-up: Spotting after rough sex, bleeding heavier than periods. Could I have sustained some injury? 23 hours later
Today is the 5th day and I have stopped bleeding. Do you believe it is still necessary to see my obgyn since I am certain I sustained some injury during intercourse. Will my body just heal itself with time? What is a reasonable amount of time that I should refrain from intercourse to allow my body time the proper time to heal?
Follow-up: Spotting after rough sex, bleeding heavier than periods. Could I have sustained some injury? 19 minutes later
If it was a peri urethral injury wouldn't I have had soreness or pain? Could the bleeding have been a result of the cervix being injured or dilated which would have caused the bleeding for 4 days? Does a cervical injury heal itself in time?
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 22 hours later

Nice to hear from you again.

It is now clear, it was a coital injury that has started healing. It will take another week or two for complete healing.

You can resume intercourse after 2-3 weeks without any hesitation.

It doesn't appear as peri uretheral injury as peri uretheral injury bleed more and start bleeding immediatly.

Cervical injury generally don't occur during intercourse, until it friable or there is element of Cervicitis.

During intense intercourse vaginal injury is very common.

As you have started recovering, you can avoid gynec opinion subject to you don't have or develop any other sign and symptoms.

All body injury have some tendency to heal itself including vaginal, cervical, peri ureteral.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.

Wish you speedy complete recovery at the earliest.