Spotting after periods, bad smell

Hi I had a normal period and then I had spotting for three days after light pink looking I noticed a bad smell. Two days later I had sex and the smell was very bad we stopped. I have been with the same guy for 9 years both of us only with each other only. Thanks
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
There may be a possibility that you have undergone spontaneous abortion after getting conception & you may get foul smell due to remaining products inside your uterus.
So get your blood beta-hCG done & if it comes positive then consult your gynaecologist for proper treatment.
If test remains negative,then you would have to take treatment for vaginitis.
I hope this information would be both informative and helpful for you
Follow-up: Spotting after periods, bad smell 10 hours later
If vaginitis what are some over the counter remedies? Also what are natural remedies/vitamins to prevent this in the future. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 12 hours later

Welcome back.

Vaginitis is caused by various groups of bacteria, fungi and trichomonal parasites. Instead of blind therapy, I always recommend by patients to get a few tests to identity the causative organism. Vaginal swab can be studied under the microscope or cultured to identify the organism. Treating that would then be simple as:
- Bacterial vaginitis is treated with clindamycin,
- Fungus with clotrimazole and
- Triachomonal parasite with metronidazole.

Therefore I encourage you to get the vaginal swab test done through a competent gynecologist. Treatment can be started as suggested based on the report.

As far as natural remedies are concerned, yoghurt is reported to have controversial role in preventing pelvic infections. Besides that, protected sexual intercourse protects against transfer of infection from partners. Drinking plenty of fluids is also known to have various benefits.

I hope your query has been answered. Let me know if you have other enquiries.