Ask a Urologist   »  

Spots on penis, getting worst and darker. How can this be treated, advise?

i'm a 50 year old male, i woke up one morning, went to go to the bathroom a looked down and noticed that there were spots ( little spots about 5 or 6 ) on my penis, i looked a little closer and these spots are very little above the surface of the skin..they don't hurt or itch in any way, i don't know how long they have been there, it just seemed like one day it wasn't there and the next day it was, but i'm now noticing that it's very slowly getting worse...these spots are on the shaft only, and the spots seem to be getting darker...i don't use drugs or take any meds..
( please help i'm scared )
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations here.

From what you have described I am suspicious that you may be dealing with genital warts. genital warts are caused by a virus which involves the skin. This virus sometimes causes small areas of thickening of the skin. This is a virus which is typically transmitted via intimate or sexual contact.

I want to reassure you at the same time that there are some good treatments available in order to address what is going on with you. One treatment is a topical cream or solution which you might apply to the affected areas at bedtime and then wash off in the morning. Over a period of several weeks the application of this solution called podofilox may significantly improved or completely resolve these areas of skin changes.

One additional possibility would be topical treatment with liquid NexGen. This needs to be performed at your doctors office as it does require skilled physician involvement. In many cases aftertreatment these genital warts will completely resolved. In other cases however it may be necessary to have intermittent treatment over a number of years.

You may also wonder when you may have picked up this virus. It is impossible to determine when you may have been exposed. The virus sometimes remains dormant under the skin and then becomes activated for some reason in the future. Generally however it would be a couple of weeks at least between when you might have been exposed and when the symptoms develop.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert