Spot on leg, indented, burns in the sun, losing muscle and fat. Is it varicose veins?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
For several years I have had a spot about the size of a quarter that was indented and burns lightly especially in the sun. Now the are is much larger and I appear to be loosing muscle and fat in that leg as compared to my other leg. Area now is about the size of my hand. this area is on the front of my leg about 3 inches up from the ankle. My doctor keeps telling me its varicos veins ?? I am not convinced. Can you offer another suggestion
Posted Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
An indented area in the leg which burns on getting exposed to the sun could be just a hypersensitive patch of skin due to sun burns. The loss of muscle and fat in the area needs to be investigated. Most of the times it is due to disuse atrophy.
Do you have any pain during walking? Any history of trauma?
A good close up picture of the lesion will be very much appreciated. This will help in understanding your problem better. You may attach a pic using the "upload your reports" feature on the query page-left hand side.
I will try to help you better after seeing the picture.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.