Spot on chin where I frequently shave. Can it be skin cancer?

I have a spot where I frequently shave. You can see it next to my ear. Before I see my dermatologist in a few weeks. Any possible guesses at what it could be? I realize skin cancer could be one.
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Skin Cancer
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 30 minutes later
Hi ..Welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for sharing your query with us.

I have looked in to the picture uploaded. It might be :

1)Solar Keratosis/Actinic keratosis.These are small scaly patches,common at sites of sun exposure like face, head,neck,hands etc.They have a risk of evolving into Squamous Cell Carcinoma.This is why it is recommended to treat it as early as possible.

2)Bowens Disease: Also called squamous cell carcinoma 'in situ.' It is a type of skin cancer that spreads outwards on the surface of the skin.

Less common possibilities are dry patches due to eczema /psoriasis.

It is advisable to visit a dermatologist for a closer look /inspection with a dermatoscope .Early treatment is necessary in a person with previous history of skin carcinoma.Hence you are on the right path.

I will be happy to answer if you have any follow up queries.

Best of luck,
Follow-up: Spot on chin where I frequently shave. Can it be skin cancer? 11 minutes later
Thanks for the advice. It is not itchy or scaly. It just looks like the skin is discolored a light reddish with a tiny tiny purplish hue maybe.
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 15 minutes later

Hello..Thanks for following up.

Sometimes the appearance of the lesions might be very typical. The above needs to be considered even without much scaling/symptoms.It is still advisable that you visit your dermatologist for an accurate assessment and do the needful .
Hope this helps you.

Best Wishes,