Splashed in the eye by a drop of juice from a rotten uncooked chicken. Should go for medical check up?

I was splashed in the eye by a small drop of some juice from a rotten uncooked chicken last night. I washed my eye out immediatly with watter, and I put some drops into my eye before I went to sleep last night. I had no noticable symptoms last night, but this morning it feels like there is something in my eye where the splash hit. I have not been rubbing it to ensure I am not creating the irritatioin. Should I wait another day? If I seek medical help, would a walk in clinic be able to prescribe the propper treatment?
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

I have to recommend that you give this a little bit more time to heal. It is likely that you have some inflammation on the inside of your eyelid and this is what is giving you the sensation that there is a foreign body within your eye.

I would continue warm compresses on your eye every three or four hours for 10 to 15 minutes. If the symptoms are not any better or if things are worse tomorrow you might consider making an appointment with your ophthalmologist for a good examination.

Again I expect your symptoms to respond and resolve over the next 24 hours.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Robert