Spine MRI shows small central disc protrusion with no associated spinal canal or foraminal stenosis. Meaning?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had a spine MRI done with contrast- the findings are:
small central disc protrusion with no associated spinal canal or foraminal stenosis
small broad based disc bulge with a superimposed right foraminal protrusion causes right foraminal stenosis

the other discs are normal.. can you please explain??
Could this be why sometimes I get tingly numb feelings in my arms and legs?
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
foraminal stenosis leads to nerve compression

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

Your MRI says right foraminal protrusion causes right foraminal stenosis which leads to compression of exiting nerve root which later on supply right lower limb [leg].Due to compression of this nerve root there is tingling numbness in your leg and pain associated with it.

For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started.
Till time, avoid lifting weights, Sit with support to back. You can consult physiotherapist for help.
Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief.
Core stabilizing spine exercises will help.
I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level.

If nerve compression becomes severe later on then surgical decompression will give permanent relief.
Tingling in your arms can be due to cervical disc protrusion.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.