Spinal pain in morning, disappears after a while, no pain during the rest of the day

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi, I have a sever spinal pain in the mornings that makes me wake up and get up for the last 5 days. 15-20 minutes after I get up the pain disappears and during the rest of the day I have no pain at all.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
A pain in the back only in the morning could be due to-
1. A beat-up mattress that does not give adequate support might cause stiffness and pain. You need to use a firm mattress preferably a cotton mattress which gives our back a good support.
2. Low oxygen levels in muscles while lying down- frequent change in postures or lying on your side might provide the relief.
3. Disc herniation or spinal canal stenosis- Can be diagnosed after investigations like MRI.
4. Arthritis or ankylosing spondylosis.
5. Weak core muscles-Strengthening the muscles that support the spine helps keep the spine in its proper position and reduce risk of sprains, strains and lower back pain. Maintain fitness with exercises that include back stretching and strengthening exercises under guidance of a physiotherapist.
A detailed examination by an orthpedician will help in detecting the exact cause. The treatment further depends on the cause.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Spinal pain in morning, disappears after a while, no pain during the rest of the day 18 minutes later
This answer didn't solve my problem.
Considering that I sleep on firm cotton mattress and changing positions while laying doesn't help me i should probably consider the first 2 causes are not relevant to me. I'll attend Orthopedician and pass medical examination and share any essential results with you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
To rule out the organic causes like ankylosing spondylosis or bone infections, consulting an orthopedician in person is the best option.
Please do keep me informed about the updates.
Meanwhile you can do a hot fomentation and apply local analgesic gel for temporary symptomatic relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Spinal pain in morning, disappears after a while, no pain during the rest of the day 27 minutes later
Hi again.
I remembered one more thing that might have an impact on my spinal issue. A week ago I carried my baby on my hands (only ~5kg) for extensive period of time ~2hrs, after which I think this pain started to show up. Could that be the cause (but still why do I have this pain only after few hours of laying rest)? And if that could be the cause could I do something towards helping myself get rid of the pain?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 43 minutes later
Carrying a baby for a long time can result in muscle sprain but is not likely to cause persistent pain that too after taking a rest.
You can help yourself by improvising your sitting and standing posture and avoiding working on computer for a long time.