Spina bifida, difficulty ejaculating, unable to orgasm. Treatment for delayed ejaculation?

Question
hello, my partner has spina bifida l5, he has always difficulty with ejaculation which is getting worse even when masturbating Is this a common problem and is there anything that can be done please? He says that all the feelings are there but he just can't achieve orgasm. This is now affecting his ability to maintain an erection, I think this may be down to worrying about letting me down?
Many thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your question.

Given that your partner has full sensation then his spina bifida probably has nothing to do with his delayed ejaculation.

What's causing his problem is codeine. He is probably addicted to this opiate. For the sake of his liver, if nothing else, he would need to wean himself off of codeine by reducing the dose at a rate of one dose per week until he is completely off of it.

Then his ability to ejaculate will improve quite considerably.

With regards to his erection problem you are probably correct. Some performance anxiety erectile dysfunction might be creeping in. Again this should improve when he comes off the codeine.

I hope that you will accept this answer. If I can help you further please let me know. But I think I've put you on the right road.

Good luck