Spilled drop or two of poppers into nose. Feeling sore throat. What should I do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Aug 2013
Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Question
I accidentally spilled a drop or two of poppers into my nose. It went down my throat, but not further. It feels like my throat is a bit sore now, but I have no other symtoms. Normal heart rythm. No headache. No visual problems. All advice on swallowing suggests to seek medical care, but it seems so small a dose. What should I do?
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 2 hours later
hello and a warm welcome to XXXXXXX

I am Dr Sriram Nathan, an ENT specialist and I shall try to clear your doubts and fears.

First of all let me assure you that one or two drops of poppers will usually not cause any harm especially if you are otherwise healthy and do not have systemic problems like high blood pressure and diabetes.

I see that you are otherwise quite healthy and I would thus assure you that there is nothing to worry about.
You may however do the following:
1. Take only warm fluids for at least two weeks from now
2. Avoid spicy, oily or high flavoured foodstuff
3. For the next two weeks avoid alcohol and related spirits
4. Goes without saint that you must avoid poppers

Since you are feeling a sore throat, I usually start tablet Pantoprazole to all may patients in a similar situation. If there is congestion and pain you may also add an antibiotic like amoxicillin-clav combination along with a pain killer like paracetamol. You doctor will definitely know about these.

You may wait for a period of two weeks or so if you do not have any difficulty in swallowing or breathing. If your symptoms become better then you have nothing to worry about. If they worsen or do not improve much then you may take an upper GI endoscopy and get back to me.

Do not strain while you speak and talk warm saline gargle if it makes you feel better.

Hope your doubts are cleared. I would be more than happy to clear any more doubts from your side

Take care and be safe

Dr Sriram Nathan