Spilled a diluted concentration of jaxex bleach on legs. Sore and itchy skin appeared. Suggest some medication

Jul 2012

I spilled a diluted concentration of Jaxex bleach on my legs whille cleaning -it took 2 days to manifest as a itchy slightly red area.( mostly looks normal with a couple of red flat small independent spots- down the tib fib - it only was irritated slightly put on hand cream one day, soaked in bath with epson slt, one day to relax and it got worse= really itchy, and now skin is bumpy in places and itcht and sort of sore. I used some Derm. cream= 1% HC/15%petr/0.3% ment./derma i had from 2004. sort of helped-yest, sooth it, but still itchy. so last night -I used XXXXXXX eold Benadryl cream which was good, later used some Lanicains spray-which took the rest of the itch out, this Am used some Bactine- a 1st aid liq for minor cuts /sun burn - I am a RN, it was s silly thing to do and not have rinsed off the skin way more thoroughly !
Anything else to use, or other suggestions to help this heal, feel better?
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 9 hours later
Hi there.
I note you said you are a RN.
My suggestion is to pleae use a combination cream of Betamethasone-Fusidic acid that one should be able to get from your local pharmacist sans prescription.
Layer this on lightly twice/day for 2-3 days & you should find good relief in 24 hrs.
Couple this with a non-sedative antihistamine eg Fexofenadine180mg once/daily for 3-5 days & you should have a winning combo!
Later on once the irritation & redness has subsided, go in for some skin healing creams like Mebo or Cicabio (latter from Bioderma a french company)!
Trust this advice points you in the right direction & wish you a clear skin & a great health in the future! Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India.