Spicy food causes stomach pain, blood in stool, feeling full, burping, throwing up in mouth. Worried about ulcer?

I skipped lunch the past 2 weeks but then ate a lot later in the day and now I'm worried I might have an ulcer or something. When I ate spicy chicken today it hurt my stomach. I had a little bit of blood in my stool but it was bright red. I've felt very full lately and have been burping and throwing up in my mouth a little (sorry to be gross). Do I have anything to worry about?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Yes, your diet alteration did take a toll on the acid balances in the stomach. The excess acid breaks down the protective lining and the blood oozed broken down to brown color.

Chronic gastritis is a harbinger of much serious underlying pathology. But, for now I would like to think it is a benign small peptic ulcer.

And that calls for anti-ulcer therapy after an evaluation to rule out causes in the esophagus as well. So, I suggest you to better book an appointment with your general practitioner at the earliest.

Meanwhile, I suggest you to stick to a pattern of diet you normally would follow and no spices and acidic food till then. Take bland diet.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.
Follow-up: Spicy food causes stomach pain, blood in stool, feeling full, burping, throwing up in mouth. Worried about ulcer? 46 hours later
Thanks for your response. Unfortunatly, to make a long story short, I can't really tell my parents that I skipped lunch for two weeks. So I told my mom everything except for that and she's not convinced that there's really anything that wrong. Also since your response Ive felt pretty hungry like a half hour after eating a lot. I haven't really felt that much significant pain except for the one time I ate spicy chicken. So my question is, how serious would it be to not get examined? How long should I wait? Should I wait at all? I would just really like to know what I'm dealing with here. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 9 hours later
Thanks for the reply.

Seriousness of your issue can be explained only by examining you. Not, by reading your words in here.

The longer the wait till therapy, the longer your mucosa is damaged and the earlier for the pathological changes to develop. So, you know the best.

I suggest you an appointment as soon as possible.

As I told you, 2 weeks of symptoms ideally should be benign and safe if you take treatment now. Safe meaning a small peptic ulcer/limited gastritis.

And do inform elders as you are a minor - and you would not understand the implications of therapy in total.

Hope, this helps to solve your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no further queries.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Spicy food causes stomach pain, blood in stool, feeling full, burping, throwing up in mouth. Worried about ulcer? 35 hours later
I just have one more concern. The past few days Ive had blood in my stool. A decent amoun,t and there's a lot on the paper when I wipe. But it's pretty light red. Could this be related to the ulcer? Do I have anything major to worry about? Thanks for your responses and sorry I haven't accepted the answer yet I just wanted to make sure I had no further questions before I did.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 2 days later

Thanks for the reply.

Light red colored blood in the stools would mean a cause in the distal gut and not the stomach. Else it must have been brown. Don't sit and worry about this too. You need a check for this too.

An ulcer in the stomach does not cause bleeding in the stools. These both seem to be separate problems altogether.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Wish you Good Health.