Sperm test negative, less motile sperms. Possible to become infertile in a year? Using hirudoid can cause this?

Infertility Specialist
Hi, I just did a sperm test for home use (FertilitySCORE) with a negative result, indicating less than 20 million motile sperms per ml. What confuses me is that I already made my wife pregnant once, about one year and a half ago on the first and so far only attempt ever to make her pregnant. Is it possible that I have become infertile only one year and a half later? Prior to the test I had been consuming Ibuprofen for three days and using hirudoid for about one week. I often feel stressed, but so did I one and a half year ago as I remember it. Can this explain the negative test? Or could it be affected by my previous daily, but moderate, consumption of alcohol?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

As per your history & description you have oligispermia ( Less than 20 million sperms per ml).

First let me clarify your doubts on how could you make your wife pregnant. Woman's egg need ONLY ONE SPERM to fertilize. So since you have oligospermia there will be few good sperms among which one was capable of fertilizing your wife's egg last time when she conceived. So it is very much possible for oligispermic men to fertilize the women's egg. Though the chances of oligospermic men have decreased fertility rate, chances do exist though less. Hence you were lucky you could make your wife pregnant. It is always possible.

Now let me explain you about oligispermia ( low sperm count):

Diagnosis of oligospermia is based on one low count in a semen analysis performed on two occasions. For many decades sperm concentrations of less than 20 million sperm/ml were considered low or oligospermic, recently, however, the WHO reassessed sperm criteria and established a lower reference point, less than 15 million sperm/ml.

There are many causes for oligospermia as follows:

1) Pre-testicular causes:
Pre-testicular factors refer to conditions that impede adequate support of the testes and include situations of poor hormonal support and poor general health including:

Hypogonadism due to various causes
Drugs, alcohol, smoking
Strenuous riding (bicycle riding, horseback riding)
Medications, including androgens.

2) Testicular factorsTesticular factors refer to conditions where the testes produces semen of poor quality despite adequate hormonal support and include:

Genetic defects on the Y chromosome
Y chromosome microdeletions
Abnormal set of chromosomes
Klinefelter syndrome
Neoplasm, e.g. seminoma

3) Post-testicular causes: Post-testicular factors decrease male fertility due to conditions that affect the male genital system after testicular sperm production and include defects of the genital tract as well as problems in ejaculation:

Vas deferens obstruction
Lack of Vas deferens, often related to genetic markers for Cystic Fibrosis
Infection, e.g. prostatitis
Ejaculatory duct obstruction

4)Idiopathic oligospermia (oligoasthenoteratozoospermia): In about 30 % of infertile men no causative factor is found for their decrease in sperm concentration or quality by common clinical, instrumental, or laboratory means, and the condition is termed "idiopathic" (unexplained).

In your case the causative factor could probably be stress and alcohol. I would advice you not to take many medications unnecessarily. Try to stop alcohol ( smoking also if you do). Reduce stress by life style modification and starting activity like Yoga & meditation.

I strongly recommend you to visit an infertility specialist in person for proper examination of your body & repeat semen analysis in laboratory. If you have oligospermia, still you can father a child by various modern methods of Assisted reproductive technology (ART) like IVF / ICSI, IUI etc...

I hope i answered your queries. Please accept my answer if no further queries.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol