Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Sperm analysis shows progressive motility rate-20%, NP-50%, Total motility-70%, non-motile-30% and sperm count-85 million. Meaning?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1279 Questions
I have done sperm analysis yesterday. volume was motility rate is 20% and NP is 50%. total motility is 70%. nomotile is 30%.sperm count is 85 million.In the report it is mentioned as Asthenozoospermia. I am a diabetic also for the last 4 years. I am having one child at present. I wish to have one more. how this problem can be rectified?. In some where it is mentioned as progressive motility of atleast 20% is enough. some where it is mentioned as Progressive motility of 32% minimum is required. Please help me.advise some medicines also to improve progressive motility rate. I wish to have normal intercourse and pregnancy. plz help.
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 57 minutes later
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX I will correlate your semen report with latest WHO(world health organizations) semen report. This is the standard reference which is followed in all centers:
volume - 2ml(1.5 ml is normal) so your volume is normal.
total motility is 70%(normal is 40%) so this is also normal
Progressive motility 20%( normally progressive motility includes both RAPIDLY PROGRESSIVE & PROGRESSIVE motility, which should be > 32%)- In your case this is less.
Non-prgressive 50%-- which is higher than normal.
Sperm count is 85 million( this is normal- in fact the count is GOOD).
We call it Asthenozoospermia since the progressive motility of yours is less than 32%.
All heart.If you are smoker or drinker kindly stop it. As you are diabetic, kindly have strict control of it. Causes of asthenozoospermia are insufficient liquefaction, autoantibodies, inflammation and disorders of the sperm tails. Causes of false-negative asthenozoospermia are cold sperm, old sperm or sperm collection with contamination/ if the assessment is not done according to the standards (Just for your information about how his motility is checked: The motility of sperm is best assessed immediately after liquefaction of the semen. The thickness of the liquid layer between the slide and cover glass should be 20 microns, this correlates with a well-mixed drop of sperm (10 μl) under a cover glass of 22 × 22 mm. The motility should be examined with 200–400X magnification: 200 spermatozoa are assessed for motility and classified). If these criterias are not met, then sometimes we get FALSE POSITIVE ASTHENOZOOSPERMIA.
My advise for you:
1)As I mentioned earlier, avoid smoking/ drinking.
2)Regular moderate exercise.
3)Avoid hot water bath, especially sauna, and avoid tight under garments.
4)Take lot of vegetables, tomato, and anti-oxident capsules( with Coenzyme Q10), which are easily available over the counter in India.
Try for normal intercourse during your wife's fertile period i.e. between Day 12 to Day 18. At least for alternate days and as many times as you wish. DO NOT USE ANY OIL BASED LUBRICANTS DURING SEXUAL INTERCOURSE.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor