Sperm analysis done for motility and liquefaction time. Can I impregnate my wife?

Mar 2013
Liquefaction time more than 60 min; Morphology: Bifid tail & Giant Head (58%); pH - 8.5; Motility: 1st Hour 50% (AM -20%; MM - 10%; SM - 20%) & 2nd Hr : 15% (AM -NIL; MM - 5%; SM - 10%). Is it normal? Can I be a father with natural intercourse or IVF is must?
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 minutes later
Thanks for your health query.
I have gone through the two picture files attached, and unfortunately, they are not clear enough.
You have typed some of the information, but to conclusively help you, may I request you to attach clearer pictures of the reports please ?
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Follow-up: Sperm analysis done for motility and liquefaction time. Can I impregnate my wife? 8 minutes later
Report uploaded
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Hi again
The report of your semen analysis is definitely not normal and is compromised in several aspects. Let me elaborate them one by one in order to explain you the prognosis :

Sperm Count:
Though it only takes one sperm to fertilize an egg, a normal sperm sample should contain 20 million sperm per milliliter (mL) or more per ejaculation. Below this count, the condition is called oligospermia, which is present in your case, and is associated with decreased natural fertility rates
The term morphology refers to the size, shape and appearance of the sperm. Every sample will have some abnormal-looking sperm. As long as more than 30 percent of the sperm have normal shapes, fertility issues shouldn’t arise. In your case, there are 58 % abnormal forms ( teratozoospermia ).
This number identifies how well the sperm move. For conception to occur, sperm must be able to swim through cervical mucus, across the uterus and out into the fallopian tubes to reach the egg. If motility drops below 50 percent, potential problems may exist. This is called hypoasthenospermia, and exists in your case also.
pH Levels:
Ideally, sperm need to have an environmental pH level of 7.1-8.0 . When the number is too low or too high, sperm may die, or they may be unable to penetrate the egg and achieve fertilization. The pH in your case is 8.5, which is unfavourable.
Liquefaction Time:
When sperm is ejaculated, it is contained in a gel like substance called semen. In addition to sperm, semen also contains secretions from the prostate and the seminal vesicles. Before sperm can be released from the semen, the gel-like substance needs to liquefy. This usually occurs within 20 to 30 minutes after ejaculation. A semen analysis will check for normal liquefaction time. Your semen liquefaction time is also abnormally prolonged, which might lead to fertility issues.
White Blood Cells:
When the sperm analysis detects white blood cells or bacteria in the specimen, an infection may be present and could hinder sperm function. It indicates infection in the genital tract, and this is the fourth abnormal component reported in your case.

If the semen analysis shows one abnormality, normally a wait and watch approach is warranted, and a repeat semen analysis after 2 - 3 weeks is required. However, in your case, since multiple problems coexist, I would recommend a visit to a Urologist/ XXXXXXX at the earliest. Causes vary right from genetic causes, infections, hormonal deficiencies, smoking/drug ingestion, age related changes, physical blockages, varicoceles, or erectile/ejaculatory problems. A thorough physical checkup and appropriate further testing is necessary to establish the cause.

Also, sometimes, in certain conditions, fertility enhancing medication might improve your semen count.

Looking at the current situation, the chances for natural conception are extremely low, though not impossible. If you and your partner have been trying for more than year unsuccessfully to conceive, I would suggest going in for ART ( assisted reproductive technologies ). This includes both IUI ( intra uterine insemination ) and IVF ( in vitro fertilization ).

For this, engage the services of a reputed Infertility Practitioner, who would evaluate your partner thoroughly , before going in for one or two cycles of IUI , which if failed, you should undergo IVF.

Please go for a karyotype ( chromosomal evaluation ) also, as certain latent chromosomal disorders cause abnormal semen analysis reports, and these can be passed on to your offspring in case conception occurs.

Meanwhile, avoid tight clothing/exposure to radiation/ working in hot environments for prolonged periods.
Avoid smoking/alcohol/tobacco consumption in any form/drugs.
Maintain an ideal body weight, and exercise regularly.
Many nutritional supplements can be recommended by your doctor, after examining you, for a treatable cause of your problem.

Please take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.

Follow-up: Sperm analysis done for motility and liquefaction time. Can I impregnate my wife? 17 hours later
Doctor thanks for your analysis. No we are married for just last 6 months. I have no vices such as smoking, alcohol, drugs, etc. I am a pure vegetarian. I am 6 ft tall with 112 kg wt. My fly history do not show such medical history. I had urinated just before collecting the sample. Could it be that the mixing of Urine may have caused this? I get good erection and my wife and I enjoy love making.

So could it be that there was a mistake in sample collection? Do you suggest that I repeat the test again? If not and if this report is indeed correct then are there any medicines that you can prescribe? My wife is of the opinion that first we should try for a kid naturally. Kindly advice.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Hi again,
As per your details, your BMI is 33.5, which comes under the category of obesity.
Mixing of a few drops of urine alongwith the specimen would not cause such gross abnormalities in all the parameters of the semen analysis.
However, since you are trying for last 6 months only, for the time being, you can have a conservative approach and try naturally before going for ART.
Considering your age ( 39 ), I would not advise waiting for more than 3 - 6 months maximum.
You can definitely go for a repeat semen analysis to confirm the findings. Try and provide the sample at the laboratory itself, instead of giving it at home, and then carrying it for testing.
There are various reasons as I mentioned, for abnormal semen analysis. Some causes are treatable with medications, and others are not.
You would have to consult an XXXXXXX / Urologist for a complete check up to know the exact reason of the abnormality, and only if it is treatable, can medicines be prescribed.
Also you would know if there is any chance for further improvement of your report, or you would need to consider ART.
So please go for a consultation at the earliest. The doctor can guide you as to where you can get your next report done and appropriate precautions to be taken.