Sperm analysis done. Reason for low motility? Medicine and food to increase motility?

Oncologist, Surgical
My Sperm concentration 20,000,000/ml

Motility 23% ( low)

What medicine increase Motility?
What food increase Motility ?
What is the reason for low Motility ?

Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 7 hours later
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your problem. There can be many reasons for low sperm motility. Some of them are:
1. Extreme Heat
2. Varicocele
3. Infections - Epididymitis, prostatitis
4. Nutrition
5. Smoking
6. Alcohol

According to the WHO guidelines, at least 50% sperms should have normal motility. Your values are slightly on the lower side. There are certain measures you can take to boost your sperm motility.

Recent studies have shown that Proxeed, a dietary supplement that contains these two proteins, may improve male fertility. Ginseng is another supplement, which increases sperm motility.
Take a lot of vitamin C (lemons, vitamin c tablets) as a deficiency can reduce sperm motility.

As far as drugs are concerned, you can try Coenzyme Q10. You have to take it for at least 2 months. It increases sperm motility over a period of time.
Also, do not keep a laptop on your lap and work. It is one of the major causes of reduced sperm counts and motility. It is also advisable to visit a surgeon to rule out varicocele. This condition can be surgically treated and increases the sperm count & motility.

You should get a repeated sperm count done after 3 months after a period of one-week abstinence.

I hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to clarify any other query.

Follow-up: Sperm analysis done. Reason for low motility? Medicine and food to increase motility? 1 hour later
Im taking (orthomol fertil plus) + L arganin + folic acid +zinc + vitamin E + co cq10 100mg

Do you thing its fine or can you suggest me which food ? And do the zinc play with

Thanks Lot dr
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 36 minutes later
Dear Sir,

You are taking all the possible supplements, which boost the motility of the sperm. It is better to consult a surgeon to rule out any surgical cause.
Other than that just take a healthy diet and get your tests repeated after 3 months.

Hoping that your tests come normal the next time around.