Sperm analysis done. Are the findings in the normal range?

Infertility Specialist
My husband just had a sperm analysis done. What does the following mean:
1. Sperm volume - 2.5 ml
2. sperm viscosity - normal
3. sperm count - 86.5 m/ml
4. total sperm count - 216.25 m
5. sperm morphology - 64%
6. Active - 18%
7. Sluggish - 27%
8. Nonmotile - 55%

The active vs. sluggish and non-motile results I don't really understand and are worrying me. What is normal in those areas? We have been trying to get pregnant for a year and my test results are normal. With these numbers would he be the reason that we are not getting pregnant? Is his "sperm count low"?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

1) Your husband's sperm count is absolutely normal.
2) Sperm motility is average. Though half of sperms are immotile, considering count and other parameters, his semen analysis is satisfactory and not a reason to worry.
3) His semen does not seem to be reason for infertility.
4) I want you to undergo following tests to analyse your reproductive potential : Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) to check fallopian tubes
5) Get following blood tests : TSH, AMH anytime, serum prolactin (fasting state)
6) On second day of your periods get blood tests : Serum FSH & LH. Please get back to me with these reports so that I can help you.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol.
IVF & Infertility Specialist.
Follow-up: Sperm analysis done. Are the findings in the normal range? 18 hours later
Thank you Doctor.
I will respond using your numbering:

4. I had the HSG and my tubes are not blocked (Reports uploaded)

5. Will do asap I don't think that I have had these.

6. I did this test as well (reports uploaded)
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 9 hours later
Hi, thanks for reply.

You have detailed reports. I saw all of them. They look fine.

Since you have not conceived in spite of everything being normal and considering your age, I recommend you go ahead with Intrauterine insemination (IUI) for 3 cycles.

Even then, if you do not conceive, go for IVF (test tube baby) Procedure without wasting time as you are losing out on age.

I hope I answered your query.
Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF & Infertility Specialist.
Follow-up: Sperm analysis done. Are the findings in the normal range? 2 days later
Thank you Doctor. After 12 months of trying... my period was a few days late but I didn't think that I was pregnant happened because it has been late before with no positive result. I took a home pregnancy test Friday morning and again Saturday morning and they were both positive. My GP took blood Friday afternoon and my HCG level was 136.8 (which she said was kind of low) but my progesterone level she said was nice a high (I don't remember the level). So it appears that I may be pregnant! FINALLY! Just when I was losing hope that I was going to have to use one of IUI of IVF as I really was not keen on that.

She took blood this morning and will get back to me later today with the result. She says that my HCG level should be around 500 today. So fingers crossed.

Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 56 minutes later
Hi, i am very glad to see you are pregnant. Please get back to me with the reports. All the best. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol