Ask a Dentist   »  

Sour taste in mouth and waxy feeling in throat and tip of tongue, had acid reflux. What is wrong?

Hi - few days ago i started with a waxy feeling in my mouth..kinda like when you use cloreseptic throat spray....weird sour taste almost....taste buds are off....i have it in my throat as well and on the tip of my tongue....feel like i may have a low grade temp......monday night i had terrible acid reflux where it came up in my mouth and burnt my started within a day after that....when i eat it feels like my mouth gets hot and the waxy feeling gets extreme....everything taste bitter....rinsing with water helps....but it does not go away?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 7 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Your history suggests you have Gastroesphageal Reflux Disease (GERD). This irritates the lining of your food pipe and causes GERD signs and symptoms. This is the reason you have been feeling waxy feeling in your mouth.

Normally a band of muscle at the lower end of your food pipe opens up when you swallow and then closes again. If this relaxes abnormally, stomach acid flows back into food pipe and cause these symptoms. There are many risk factors for this like smoking, obesity, asthma and Diabetes.

You may require an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and an esophageal motility test. You may consider taking multivitamin supplements daily. These are over the counter medicines. It will help greatly in alleviating your symptoms.

I suggest you follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) You can take any over the counter antacid; this may help your symptoms from worsening and also relieve them.

2.) Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight. This should include aerobic exercises, brisk walking for 30 to 40 minutes daily.

3.) Avoid lying down immediately after a meal. Finish your supper 2 hours before going to bed.

4.) Avoid hot, spicy foods, caffeinated beverages.

5.) Avoid wearing tight fitting clothes.

6.) Avoid overeating; eat six small meals instead of three larger ones.

7.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.

8.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.

9) Keep the head end of your bed elevated while sleeping.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available to answer your follow up queries if any.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Sour taste in mouth and waxy feeling in throat and tip of tongue, had acid reflux. What is wrong? 9 hours later
How long do you think I will have this condition before it subsides? I looked down my throat and it is red and irritated with broken blood vessels. I already take protonix and have for years. I also had a big stress episode last week of getting my purse stolen and losing a large sum of money. I just want it to go away!!! What are the chances of it staying like this?? I will call my family doctor to see if I can get an appt.

Thank you :)
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 12 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Your follow up history suggests you have GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease) with Stress induced gastritis. This problem will take a minimum of 2 weeks for complete recovery and the recovery period will reduce the sooner the treatment is started and the lifestyle modifications followed which have been discussed earlier. This problem will not persist for longer periods if there is no underlying pathology.

Kindly don't worry, get an appointment with your doctor, stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.